Note: Copies of papers are added continuously- check back for additional papers.
· Web N: What is Web 3.0 about?
Terrorism: A systemic view. Russell L Ackoff and Johan P Strumpfer Systems Research and Behavioral Science, May-June 2003, Vol 20 , no 3, pp287-294. (A version of the paper is here)
· The Angola 2003 Diary, Johan Strumpfer & Mandy Lebides, 2003. Creda Printing.
· Strategic Bankruptcy, in Out of the Red: Turnaround Business in South Africa, Edited & complied by Mandy Lebides ISBN 0-9584980-1-6 Creda Publishing, 2005.
Publications whilst at the University of Cape Town (1993-1999):
· Unzipping corporate strategic direction. People Dynamics, February 1993. With K Osler. (Copy of paper here)
· Experiences in Systems Teaching. Proceedings of the 1994 International Systems Dynamics Conference, Stirling, Scotland, July 1994.
· Deep Ocean Search Planning. Proceedings the EURO XIII/ OR 36 Conference, July 1994, Scotland. (A version of the paper is here.)
· A case study in problem solving: Sticking to systems principles. Case study chapter contained in RL Flood (ed), Solving Problem Solving, John Wiley & Sons, publication August 1994. (For paper see above)
· Understanding and Achieving Meaningful Participation in Management. Paper presented Sixth Annual Conference of the SA Institute for Management Scientists, Cape Town, September 1994. (A copy of paper is here)
· Planning as Vehicle for Social Change. Proceedings of the International Systems Thinking and Progressive Social Change Conference, Cape Town, September, 1994. (For paper see below)
· An example of problem solving in business. With Mr Don Brown, Southern Life Association Ltd, South Africa. Proceedings of the University of Cape Town, Systems Thinking at Work Conference, November, 1995. (The paper is here)
· Thinking and Action: The Systems Challenge and Response. Proceedings of the conference: Thinking to Action: Making Systems Work, University of Cape Town, 5-8 November 1996, at Old Mutual, Cape Town. Paper also accepted for publication in Systems Practice and Action Learning. (Read the paper here)
· Ensuring Delivery Through Organisational Design. Paper presented at the University of Cape Town SEM/PSM Systems Thinking Conference, Sanlam, Bellville, November 1997. (A copy of the paper is here)
· Planning as Means of Social Change: The Durban Functional Regional Forum Case. Systems Practice, Vol. 10, No. 5 pp 549-565, 1997 (Find a version of the paper here).
· A Journey Through Organisations, Proceedings of the conference "The Systems Approach: The New Generation" (Wharton Business School, Univ. of Pennsylvania, 19-20 Feb 1998).
· Ensuring Delivery Through Organisational Design. in Systems Research and Behavioral Science, July_Aug 2000, Vol 17 No 4, pp327-332. (See here for similar discussion).
· The development of Systems Thinking in Southern Africa. Johan Strumpfer and Tom Ryan. Guest Editorial in Systems Research and Behavioral Science, Volume 17, No 4 Jul-Aug 2000.
· Dynamics in the Financial Services Industry. Invited paper in Twenty Five Years of Futures Research, Institute for Futures Research, University of Stellenbosch, 1999. (A copy of the paper is here)
· Guest Editor, with TB Ryan, of Systems Research and Behavioral Science, July-August 2000.
· Served on editorial board of Systems Practice and Action Learning, 1996-2000.
Publications whilst at the IFR (1988-1992):
· Managing around a crisis: strategic management's concern. Institute for Futures Research, University of Stellenbosch, Occasional paper no. 14, 1989.
· The cause of accidents. Institute for Futures Research, University of Stellenbosch, project report, 1990.
· The Durban Functional Region: The Current Situation. Tongaat-Hulett, 1989. Contributor to report; project facilitator.
· Underwater Search Area for the Helderberg Flight Recorders. 23 December 1988. SAA Report to Department of Civil Aviation. Project leader and sole author.
· Creating Harmony Between Gencor and its Environment: Building of Esteem Through Participative Planning. Institute for Futures Research Project report to Gencor, 1990. Author and project leader.
· The Durban Functional Region: Scenarios for 2000. Tongaat-Hulett, 1990. Contributor to report; Co-author and project facilitator.
· The Durban Functional Region: Strategy and action plan proposals for discussion with DFR stakeholders. Tongaat-Hulett, 1990. Contributor to report; project facilitator.
· Military Management: Environmental Scan. University of South Africa Study Guide MOI-1, 1990; with PH Spies, E Dostal and JA Grobbelaar.
· Modes of Inquiry: Acquiring knowledge about complex phenomena. IFR research paper For publication in Systems Research, UK.
· An Approach to Planning: A facilitators guide to forum based interactive planning. Institute for Futures Research Occasional paper in press, 1992.
· A methodology for evaluating impact from information technology in organisations, with case study. Infoplan project report, with L Introna and B van Schalkwyk. 1992.
· Future strategic directions for Anglovaal Group. Institute for Futures Research project report to Anglovaal Limited, co-facilitated and co-authored with J Gharajedaghi, INTERACT, USA, 1992.
· Planning Notebook and Planning Scenarios for Telkom. Telkom Reports, facilitator and co-author, 1992.
· Organizational design for Anglovaal Limited, Anglovaal Mining and Anglovaal Industries. Institute for Futures Research project report to Anglovaal Limited, co-facilitated and co-authored with J Gharajedaghi, INTERACT, USA, 1992.
· Systems Thinking: New age or scientific thinking? Institute for Futures Research paper, 1992.
Published 41 reports for IMT (1977-1988); the following is an illustrative sample of these and other professional papers and reports produced.
· Programme suite for Planning Searches. HP Programme Library, Hewlett-Packard Corporation, 1978.
· Structure and organisation of the Norwegian Search and Rescue Service. Institute for Maritime Technology report TV-014-80, 1980.
· Manual for the preparation of a rendezvous search procedure. Institute for Maritime Technology report TV-021-80, 1980.
· Examples of problem areas in search planning and control due to deficiencies in the present structure of search and rescue organisation in South Africa. Institute for Maritime Technology report TV-005-82, 1982.
· Determining the technology implications of SADF long term plans: A proposed method. Institute for Maritime Technology report TV-006-82, 1982; with co-authors, project leader.
· Application of the proposed method for determining technology implications of the SAN CULP. Institute for Maritime Technology report TV-007-82, 1982; with 5 co-authors, classified report. Project leader
· Summary presentation of results from the Hydra detection effectiveness trials. Institute for Maritime Technology report TV-0037-83, 1983. Major project report, classified. Project leader.
· Maximum entropy. Institute for Maritime Technology report PP-OH007/043/84, 1984.
· Concepts in problems and problem solving. Institute for Maritime Technology report TV-056-85, 1985.
This site was last updated 2009-07-16