Dr Johan P Strümpfer
Summary: A highly experienced and qualified manager, consultant, and change agent with a wealth of experience in developing competitive strategies, facilitating and implementing change in business, designing and facilitating participative workshops, and driving organisational development programs through action learning processes.
Key strengths areas include
· Skilled in Strategy: An ability to read business situations, to perceive the essential forces shaping the competitive landscape, and to translate this into core strategic changes required for competitive advantage.
· People in alignment: Extensive experience and skills in building consensus and alignment in senior management groups, around shared mental models and desired action for change.
· Senior working experience: Very extensive experience of working with large corporate executive teams over extended periods, for numerous clients. Personal experience of serving in executive capacity as well as directorships.
· People development: Many years of experience of people development, resulting in many hundreds of people acquiring core business skills.
· Organisational change: Experienced in designing, leading and facilitating a very large number of fundamental organisational change processes, implementing fundamental strategic directional changes and turnaround strategies.
· Financial services industry knowledge: 18 years of experience of working in more than 14 financial services companies, including short term (property & casual) insurance, long term (life) insurance, health insurance and banking.
· Structuring unstructured situations: Skilled in creating direction and leadership for action in situations that are confused, uncertain and chaotic.
· Inquiry: A fundamental understanding and schooling in the foundations and principles of rigorous inquiry and decision making, coupled with over 20 years of application experience of these.
1. Executive Director
Partners for Change 2007 to date
2. Founder & Principle Consultant
Systems Practice (SA) 1992 to Date
· Client: Develop, maintain and manage client relationships. Including staff/support people, line management, top executives and board members. Marketing and sales of products, programs and projects.
· Product: Research and develop content material for dealing with organisational situations, in the areas of business strategy, organisational structuring, organisational change, and business problem solving. Design of participative workshops and decision processes.
· Delivery: Delivery of programs and projects to satisfy client needs. Facilitating participative decision process, conflict resolution, workshops and change processes.
· Management: Management of client projects, organising and delivery of strategy and organisational change projects, business management, management of staff, contractors and
· Corporate: Finance, invoicing, corporate governance.
· Recent Example: Responsible for the design, execution and contents of the strategy planning forces conducted in Santam (the largest South Africa short term insurer) from 2004-2005. The business had the two best years of financial results in 04FY and 05FY in its 90 year history. The challenge was to find competitive strategies that would put it on a continued path of performance increase, despite a downturn in the environment. Such strategies were developed and implement. Was responsible for the design an implementation of the change management process aimed at the implementation of these strategies. This included the successful delivery of workplace rollout process and performance management for Santam to align business activity and performance (across almost 3000 employees) with the new strategies, using the balanced scorecard technique. Project involved the management of the project team, training of in-house facilitators and accountability to executive for project success. This resulted in the launch of a new product to target the entry level market (implemented August 2005). Project also realised the broadening of international business portfolio with two key initiatives; The Westminster Motor Insurance Association, which was profitable. Santam Europe growing steadily and the Santam participation in the Beazley Syndicate yielding above expectation results. Financial results for year ending 2005 were above average with 34% return to shareholders despite and above average growth, as well as the maintenance of cost ratios despite pressure from increased claims.
· Older Example: He was responsible for the development of strategy and turnaround actions for Teljoy, 1996-1999. Teljoy was a mobile phone service provider and television rental company. The company was under threat of liquidation in 1995. The required turnaround actions had to be developed initially. Responsible for the process design, facilitation there-of and company wide roll-out of the turnaround strategies. This resulted in a significant financial performance improvement within a year: From an actual financial loss of R120 million, to a positive bank balance at the end of the 1997 financial year. The share price rose from R2.20 at the beginning of the period to a high f R4.80 in May 1997. Subsequent to the turnaround, the competitive re-positioning strategies were developed and rolled out in a change management process. One of these strategies was a merger strategy, where a three-way merger was implemented to form the Vodacom Service Provider Company for Vodacom.
· Early Example: He was responsible for planning the deep ocean search for the SAA Boeing 747 'Helderberg'. This aircraft crashed in a remote part of the Indian Ocean in 1988. At the time of the accident it was the deepest, at 4.4 kilometres deep, deep ocean search ever carried out, even deeper than the Titanic search conducted a few years prior. The ‘Helderberg’ was found within the area indicated for searching, against a background of enormous uncertainties. Some months after finding the wreckage, the flight voice recorder was found within a small search area determined, again in the face of enormous uncertainties.
Partial Client List (Click here for more details)
Nationality: South African
Driving License: Full
Personal Interests: Remote areas travel, vehicle work, reading, photography, nature, walking
This site was last updated 2008-08-29